There’s a reason ashwagandha has been revered for centuries. It’s been linked to a whole host of incredible health benefits from alleviating stress to reducing pain and inflammation to being known as a potential mood booster. Here’s Forbes’ list of the top seven science-backed benefits.
At Fuel 4 Ever, we’re committed to showcasing stand-out herbs and other natural ingredients that can positively impact your body and mind, so you can live the long, healthy life you deserve.
Digging into its Roots
Ashwagandha is a small evergreen shrub also known as Indian ginseng and Winter cherry. It can be found overseas in parts of India, Africa and the Middle East.
Taking root in ancient Indian Ayurvedic medicine — a holistic approach to healing that focuses on cleansing the body and restoring balance to mind, body and spirit — ashwagandha is known as a “rasayana” herb, which translates as “rejuvenating,” that purportedly promotes youth and longevity. Throughout the ages, it’s been used for heightened intellectual capabilities and vitality.
Ashwagandha is also an adaptogen. Adaptogens are herbs that can help us better cope with stress and anxiety, and somehow work to normalize the body and restore balance. Ginseng is another well-known example. Cleveland Clinic offers some rich background information on adaptogens for further reading.
Ashwagandha Benefits: The Highlight Reel
Where to begin when a natural wonder like ashwagandha offers so much for body and mind? Scientific studies tout the numerous therapeutic benefits of supplementing with this medicinal herb.
Here are some highlights that we think best align with your avid pursuit of a healthier lifestyle:
- Stress buster: Already mentioned above, as an adaptogen, this magnificent herb has been relied on for centuries for relieving stress and anxiety. One way it does this is by helping to regulate stress hormones like cortisol. Though there are also growing reports of potential cancer-fighting properties (check out this study*), ashwagandha’s true impact on cancer patients may be in helping with treatment-related fatigue, stress and anxiety.
- Natural sleep remedy: Shown to improve sleep quality and mental alertness upon waking. Ashwagandha appears to promote sleep by stimulating GABA receptors, which helps reduce anxiety thereby allowing you to fall asleep more easily. Take a look at this recent study that used KSM-66** Ashwagandha®, the same form we included in SLEEP.
- Anti-diabetic properties: As reported by Healthline.com, a review of 24 studies, including five clinical studies involving diabetics, found that treatment with ashwagandha “significantly restored the altered levels of blood glucose, glycosylated haemoglobin (HbA1c), insulin, lipid profile, serum and oxidative stress markers.” Check out the data here.
- Promotes healthy brain function: Studies have shown ashwagandha may improve cognitive function, including memory. Compounds within the herb may also protect the brain from certain diseases.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: May be used to reduce pain and inflammation, which can protect the body from disease.
- Lengthens life: More research is needed, but preliminary studies suggest this amazing herb may positively impact longevity.
So as you can see, ashwagandha is yet another natural powerhouse chock-full of impressive health benefits that remain hard to ignore. But our recommendation is to always consult your doctor first before making any changes to your diet or fitness routine. With ashwagandha, this is especially important to those who have a history of autoimmune disease, are taking thyroid medications, or have hormone sensitive prostate cancer (increases testosterone in men).